Wednesday, October 2, 2013

I love a successful shopping trip!

 Yesterday I moved the furniture around in my kitchen, and sett up my shelf and table so that I have pantry area of sorts rather than a teetering stack of tupperware on top of the microwave. I was delighted with the result. Now I can sit (on the floor, of course) at my table and whip up a batch cornbread and almost everything I need is right within reach. Unfortunately, this meant that my bathroom storage, already a problem, became a dire situation, as the shelf I has been using to store my towels had suddenly become part a pantry. I decided to think about the situation some other time and went to bed. Then morning I nearly dropped my hair straightener in the toilet. It was a narrow escape. Something had to be done.
After leaving school today, my co-teacher took me to the bank to teach me how to pay my (overdue... oops!) bills, and I caught sight of what look like some shelves at one of the stores. After the bill paying I went home, opened all the windows to let in the glorious breeze, sighed over my pile of towels on the floor, and then dragged myself outside to go look at the shelves. After wandering the store for a good chunk of time, I found them. So it's nothing special, just a simple little thing with 4 wire shelves. And maybe it's a bit flimsy, but that was perfect, since it was also lightweight, and it had to be for me to carry it home!
And not only did I find the shelf I wanted, I also found a basket that fits neatly on it, and saves my hair straightener from its former dangerous perch near the toilet. AND I also got a cutting board and a couple more containers for my "pantry." Huzzah!
On the way home, I got stopped by an elderly Korean lady who gestured to the shelf and interrogated me in Korean. I've no idea what she was saying, but the conversation went like this:
Korean Lady: Question in Korean. Gestures to shelf. Waits.
Me: Blank look.
Korean Lady: repeats question.
Me: (in English, of course) I got it at the corner store.
Korean Lady: Another question in Korean. Points to me.
Me: um....
Korean Lady: Repeats question. Points to me. Points to my apartment building. Points to shelf. Repeats question.
Me: It's not heavy. I can carry it that far just fine.
Korean Lady: Nods and smiles and says something else in Korean.
Me: (taking this as my cue to leave) Ok, bye!
So, my kitchen is starting to look quite home-y and nice, what with the nice tidy storage areas. Now that I've got that done, and I have some proper storage, time to clean the bedroom and rearrange the furniture in there. I'm hoping to get a desk, but I will probably have to order that, as I can't imagine trotting home from the corner store with a desk!
The shelves! Oh, the wonderful shelves! Also please take special note of my penguin washcloth. Aren't you jealous? I bet you wish you had a penguin washcloth.

My "pantry."

Ah, I didn't tell this story, as it's getting past my dinner time. But the short version is that I had a mop handle and I wanted to mop the floor, so with the help of an old towel and several paper clips, I got... well... this. It works quite nicely though, even if it doesn't look quite like a proper mop.

No comments:

Post a Comment