Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Ever since I was little, I've felt like I shouldn't ask God for frivolous things, and while I feel my parents and Sunday-school teachers were probably trying to prevent me from making bargains with God (God I'll be a good little girl if you just give me a pony) I began to feel guilty about asking God for anything that I didn't need. 
Only recently, I began to realize that there is nothing shameful about bringing anything before God. There is nothing good about feelings of shame that separate us further from God. There is nothing shameful in sharing anything from our lives with our Father in heaven. There is a vulnerability, and a closeness in sharing more than just our needs with God. 
Think about it. There is a voice that tells us not to bother God with anything non-essential, and that voice is not from God. If we only ask God for the things that we need we are treating him as we would a stranger, rather than the friend and father that we so desperately need. 
If your car breaks down and you don't have your phone, will you wait for a friend to happen by and help, or will you ask a stranger? If you are lost, wouldn't you ask a someone, even someone you don't know, for help? In times of need, we will turn to anyone who can help us. 
But would you hand out your Christmas list to a complete stranger? No, we share our wants with the people closest to us. Not that I am suggesting we should treat God like Santa Claus, and bring him our list and expect that if we are good He will simply give us everything. I am saying we should treat God like he is a close friend, or family member. Isn't that the relationship that we say we want with him?

No comments:

Post a Comment